Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Experiment time: Can I sew a bra into my bathing suit?

It's the summer time, I live near the beach, I like to visit occasionally and next week I'm on vacation! So, in my perilous hunt for a bathing suit, I had one main requirement: I want one with a proper bra, complete with underwire. Shouldn't be so bad, right? Wrong. Because I'm a bit... chesty and curvy (being nice), finding a bathing suit not made for old ladies, that was cute and didn't cost the same as my car, was like finding the infamous white whale (no pun intended for what I look like in the suit.)

Right. Here goes nothing:

What you'll need:

  • Swim suit with saggy cups (those awful, flimsy, no good cloth cups)
  • A bra you don't mind "altering."
  • Several needles
  • Nylon thread
 Step One:
          Line up the bra in the bathing suit to see where everything is going to hit. You want to make sure the underwire (if you're using a bra with one) is inside the front of the bathing suit and doesn't overlap into the back, or go over the seams.  Pin so that you can't see it when you're looking at it from the outside.


Step Two:
          You're not going to stitch where you think you're going to be stitching! Surprise! No, you're not stitching around the perimeter, you're going to stitch the bra to the existing bra in the suit. You will end up with a funny stitch. **When trying the knot for the thread that's going to anchor the stitch, make sure you start the thread so that the knot is on the outside of the real bra, but on the inside of the swimsuit bra. This way the nylon thread won't rub against you and annoy the bejesus out of you.

Step Three:
          Stitch the bra around the perimeter of the suit cup. ***DO NOT stitch to the outside of the suit, you don't want to see the stitching on the outside. You can hold the outside away from the cup and needle so you don't catch it and cause a run. ***Keep checking the front of the suit to make sure you can't see the tops of the bra.

Step Four:
          Stitch the middle of the bra to the inside of the suit with a straight down stitch. (No picture, sorry!)

Step Five: 
         Continue on to the next cup with the same principle as the first. Do not cut off the band of the bra, as you should be able to wear the band without it showing.

 Stitches shown just stitched to the inside bra

Step Six: 
           ***OPTIONAL*** Depending on the cut of your suit, if you have regular tank straps, you can wear your straps like normal.
Mine is a halter, so I cut the straps at the base of the band, right above the back band, sewed them together to form a halter. ***I was able to keep the strap adjusters on the straps because of how they were placed on the front of the straps and not the back. If yours are on the back, you can either cut the straps off completely or measure them and then sew so that they are taut.



I am so completely shocked and proud of myself that I didn't cock this up and make a mess of it. It looks fantastic! You can't even tell it's been sewn in and my boobs sit where they're supposed to be and they won't be flopping around!

I won't subject you to a picture of me in the suit, but you get the gist. Let's go to the beach!!

xoxo g

21 comments:

  1. This is Awesome, I have done this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Do you have any pictures to share?

      Delete
  2. This was EXACTLY what I needed! It worked sooo perfectly thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sooo much, I've been dreading a bathing suit for years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou so much, this is an awesome idea. I have been searching everywhere for an underwire swimsuit and they are super expensive and most are quite ugly. Now I can keep the "girls" up where they should be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found this! Good luck, and keep us posted with your results! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  5. OMG!!! I'm soooo gona try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you gone swimming in this yet? I just wonder if it is weird getting the bra part wet. Seems like it would take a lot longer for the bra to dry than it would if it were a normal bathing suit? Is it uncomfortable to wear when it's wet? I actually bought the exact same swimsuit and was Googling for ways to add more support to it and found your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I have tried swimming in it. I love it. Keeps the girls where they should. If you use a thinner bra, obviously it will dry faster. I'm pretty sure the bra I used was polyester so it dried pretty fast. I don't find it uncomfortable when it's wet, just when I get sand in it. (Don't ask! ;) Hope this helps!

      xoxo g

      Delete
  7. I'm trying this tomorrow! Bought an awesome pinup style one piece with great tummy support but no boob support! Found a bra I don't love that I'm going to try this with. I think it's going to look awesome considering how good the rest of the suit looks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to try this out with a corset that I got that doesn't have any boob support that I love. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a question. I am going to try this with a tankini I bought but it has cup in it but they are stiff and I wonder if I can cut the middle out of them and just have the bra under the suit?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am definitely going to be trying this out! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I'd love to see the before and after picture or how it turned out looking on you. Of course, this was written a little while ago, so you might not have that bathing suit anymore :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this! I think three of my suits are going to actually fit by this time next week...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this! Just seeing that my idea worked for someone else is giving me the courage to try it out. I just got the same suit in a bikini!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank for this, i have a gorgeous bikini top that i made for a kids swim piece as it was for kids it obviously didn't have any support. but can't wait to try this

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds great. I had a mastectomy many years ago, so I have one perky one and one rather saggy one. Hard to find a suit that looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What about a one piece that has a very low back? You obviously would want the back stay around your back to show. Can you tell me how that would work and still get extra suppory?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for posting this !!! I've been wearing my bra under my bathingsuit for years cause all the bathingsuits I find, the cups are at most DDD. I'm an H. But I'm tired of having 2 sets of straps showing . I'm excited to get working on this !!!!

    ReplyDelete